Life, the universe and everything 1: Life

19:23



No, not the clichéd question of ‘what is life?’ Which, in fact is a question, I believe, you can only pursue the answer to, never reach it. You’ll approach it, but never reach it. 0.0…….01.
This is the question ‘What do we do with life.’
If you followed my earlier posts, you may realize my central area of interest is Physics. I want to know about the very of soul of the universe that we live in, reach the end of the road of reality.
We live in a universe that is impossibly big. In a fairly mediocre group of galaxies there is a fairly average sized spinning galaxy called the milky-way.  On the outer edge of one of the spiral arms of this average galaxy, there is an average sized star, called sol, and rotating around it is a tiny, speck sized particle of rock, which we live on. On this planet, there is a complex and intricate social system, which runs largely on green pieces of paper, you can also find high school kids mugging notes like maniacs and working to get into a good college, so they can get slightly higher paying jobs on this very, very mediocre speck of dust on the outer edge of a spiral galaxy that’s a hundred thousand LIGHTYEARS across.
In the grand scheme of things, where do these tasks that mean the world to us stand?
We could all feel this way and give up on everything, and wonder why we are here and what we should do about it. Sounds legitimate. Everything we do really does have no meaning. I pondered on this for many years, and then this happened.
I was standing in the basketball court and thinking about this, in a blur I heard coach telling one of the other players about how he need to work on fixing his small mistakes. He said the following words, “Small things are big things.” And I understood everything. I believe no other quote better summarizes what an ideal life is in one sentence.
‘It’s about the pursuit of happiness, that’s what everyone wants,, and they are such fools, they don’t even know they want it, and work on meaningless goals, like getting a promotion.’
-Daksh Gupta
It’s happiness that we really want. Riches? Maybe they bring happiness to you. But sitting on a pile of cash isn’t going to get you contentment. It’s the joyous smile on your sons face when you get him the football he always wanted. That’s what humans want, and they have no idea they want it! We do things for the sake of it, and have deviated so far away from reason we have trouble looking at it at all! Life is a time given to us, to live, to be happy and nothing else. There should be nothing you’re doing because you have to. If it doesn’t make you happy, don’t waste another second of your life doing it. And most importantly, refuse to live by the principles of a society that looks down about poor authors living in mountains, enjoying their life, doing what they love with the people they love, and looks up to the IIT engineer who wanted to be an actor who works 8 hours a day not even doing what he loves to. The last thing you should worry about is finance and social status, as if you are doing what you love to do, money can’t be far away. I want to change the world. Millions of people today spend 8 hours a day, from 9 to 5 doing thigs they had many other people don’t want to. I want to replace them completely with artificial intelligence. I dream of a world where solar powered unmanned machines farm for us, fish for us and manufacture for us, the market has a continuous flow of resources and the people can do what they want to do. The only thing preventing farmer Amit from pursuing his dream of being a guitarist was his fear of going hungry.  People get all the resources they need for free as production cost nears 0 and can do what they love. And I want to learn, and I want to grow, so one day, I can make this world a better place. And that's why I want to go to MIT. I feel they can give me the skills that I need to pursue my dream, and also they give credit for the things that that I live and breath.
And maybe, just maybe this insignificant speck of dust on the outer rim of one of the billions of galaxies in the world, will not be an insignificant speck of dust anymore. I am Daksh Gupta, and as always, never stop asking questions.


Questions no one knows the answers to, by Chris Anderson on TEDed

You Might Also Like

0 comments